You can celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first ascent of Mount Everest by joining a series of special one-off Everest treks next year.
Organised by World Expeditions, a small group trekking and adventure holidays specialist, adventurous souls can choose from five treks in May 2013.
All the treks will culminate at the 3,800 metre Thyangboche Monastery, the most important Buddhist spiritual site in the Nepal Himalayas, on 29th May 2013 – exactly 60 years after Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay became the first people to climb to the summit of Mount Everest.
Ranging from 12 to 23 days and with levels varying from introductory to challenging, are:
- Everest 60th Anniversary Trek (12 days, introductory): Anniversary Trek – a classic short trek combining Sherpa culture with views of Everest.
- Everest Base Camp 60th Anniversary Trek (19 days, moderate): Trek the classic expedition approach to the base of Everest.
- Gokyo Lakes 60th Anniversary Trek (18 days, moderate): Gokyo is one of the most spectacular treks in the region with its serene turquoise lakes and stunning views of Mount Everest.
- Remote Passes of Everest 60th Anniversary Trek (19 days, moderate to challenging): Cross remote passes on an incredible journey into the highest mountain range on earth.
- Everest Circuit 60th Anniversary Trek (23 days, moderate to challenging): View the summit of Everest from Gokyo Ri and traverse the Cho La to the base of Everest
Ringed by soaring Himalayan peaks in all directions, Thyangboche Monastery is said to be a fitting place for the celebrations on 29th May 2013. A special black tie dinner will be held in World Expeditions’ specially constructed dining tent; and the commemorations will be in the company of high profile guests who have been influential in Everest’s history.
Prices start from £1,690 per person. For more information and bookings visit http://www.worldexpeditions.co.uk or call 0800-0744 135. World Expeditions’ all-inclusive policy ensures there are no local payments. Prices do not include international flights; however these can be arranged on request.